Bad Checks Prosecution

Bad Check prosecution operates under the statutory requirements of Nebraska Criminal Statue 28-611.  Under 28-611, the County Attorney's Office is responsible for the processing and follow-up investigation of any Non Sufficient Funds or Account Closed checks that are submitted for criminal prosecution.

Download the form to Request Prosecution of Bad Checks »

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Someone has written a bad check to my business. What can I do?
A: The attached Bad Check Policy explains the process in detail:  Bad Check Policy (will link to form).

Q: How do I make payment on my bad check?
A: If no charges have been filed for issuing a bad check, you need to contact the business where the check was written and make payment arrangements directly with the business.

Q: What happens after criminal charges are filed?
A: After criminal charges are filed, a warrant will be issued for the check-writer's arrest.  The warrant can only be cleared by the check-writer turning him or herself in to the nearest local law enforcement agency.  Bond will be set at $500.  At conviction, the defendant will be required to pay restitution for the amount of the check plus the $10 filing fee paid by the business, as well as fines and court costs.