Public Defender

Contact Us

York County Public Defender
Nancy Waldron
510 N. Lincoln Avenue
York, NE 68467
Phone (402) 362-7111
Fax (402) 362-0030

The Public Defender's Office is responsible for representing individuals whom the Court has determined cannot afford to hire an attorney.  The Public Defender may not represent clients prior to Court Appointment.  The Public Defender is only appointed to represent people in criminal matters (felonies and misdemeanors), contempt, paternity, mental health, or juvenile matters where either jail-time is possible, or the case involves some other liberty interests.  Our representation extends to all critical stages of prosecution and includes investigation, representation in Court and appeals.  We assist our clients by providing them with accurate information concerning the charges and evidence against them and help advise them of their rights and provide them with legal advice regarding any other legal issues pertaining to their cases.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a public defender to represent me? Where do I go?
You will have to ask the judge to appoint the Office of the Public Defender to represent you. Whether or not the judge appoints an attorney to represent you will depend on how serious the charges are and whether the judge believes that you could afford to hire your own attorney. If you ask for an attorney, you will probably be asked questions about your financial situation. In order to request an attorney, you should contact the clerk of the county court who will schedule you before a judge.

Where is your office? How do I get there?
The Public Defender's Office is located in the Courthouse, 2nd floor, 510 N. Lincoln Ave., York, NE 68467.

I need a Public Defender to file for divorce, work out child support, or landlord/tenant problems.
The Public Defender is only appointed to represent people in criminal matters, including felonies, misdemeanors, juvenile court, mental health hearings and appeals to the Nebraska Court of Appeals and Nebraska Supreme Court. To receive help on divorce matters or landlord/tenant problems, you will need to contact Legal Services of Southeast Nebraska, located at 825 Terminal Building (10th and O Streets). Their phone number is 435-2161. If you are in court for a contempt action for failure to pay child support, you will need to ask for a court-appointed attorney at your first court hearing before the District Court Referee. If you qualify, the Referee will recommend to the District Judge that an attorney be appointed to represent you and you will be given further information on who your attorney will be.

I forgot my court date, how do I find out when it is?
If you have just been arraigned in County Court, and the Public Defender is appointed, you will be given a sheet of paper which lists the date, time and location of your next court appearance. If you do not have that available, you can call the Public Defender's Office, (402) 362-7111 and our receptionist will be happy to look it up for you. If the Public Defender's Office does not represent you, you may call the Clerk of the county Court.