Sheriff's Department Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQ

Where is the County Sheriff Department located?
The physical location is 510 N. Lincoln Ave, York, NE on the north side of the Courthouse.

Is the County Sheriff elected or appointed?  How long is a term?
The County Sheriff is elected to a four-year term.

How do I file a protection order?
Our civil division page regarding domestic orders HERE can help explain the process.  Information is also available at:
                  Nebraska Supreme court website with downloadable forms »
                  York County District Court : (402) 362-4038
                  York County Sheriff's Office non-emergency: (402) 362-4927
                  Emergency Law Enforcement: 911

How do I obtain a concealed weapon permit?
The Nebraska State Patrol has a concealed weapons page that explains the procedure for obtaining a concealed weapon permit.  You must apply for a permit in person at one of the Nebraska State Patrol Troop Area offices or at the Criminal Identification Division of the State Patrol.

How do I obtain a handgun purchase permit?
Applications to obtain a handgun purchase permit must be filled out in person at the York County Sheriff's office at 510 N. Lincoln Ave, York, NE (North side of courthouse)

How do I register as a Sex Offender?
Original Registration in Nebraska                                              Updates-Changes-Verifications
Nebraska State Patrol                                                                       York County Sheriff's Office
3431 West Old Potash Hwy                                                               510 N Lincoln Ave
Grand Island, NE 68801                                                                    York, NE 68467
(308) 385-6000                                                                                  (402) 362-4927
By appointment only M-F 0830am-330pm                              By appointment M-F 0800 am-500 pm

All sex offenders that are required by law to register and have never been registered in Nebraska, must do so in person at a Nebraska State Patrol office designated to accept registrations.  Any Nebraska registered sex offender needing to update, change, or verify their information must do so in person at the County Sheriff's Office in their jurisdiction.  The addresses above apply to any offender who lives (permanently or temporarily for more than three days), works, or attends school in York County.

If you are unsure if you are required to register as a sex offender, please visit the Nebraska State Patrol's website regarding sex offender registry.

How do I pay waiverable citations online?
Follow this link » to and you will find instructions there.

How do I get fingerprinted for a job?
Bring your fingerprint cards M-F 0800am-500pm to the York County Corrections (North side of Courthouse) 510 N Lincoln Ave, York, NE 68467.  Questions call (402) 362-6628.

Where can I lookup registered sex offenders in my neighborhood?
Nebraska database of registered offenders is maintained by the Nebraska State Patrol.  Lookups can be performed on their public website here »

Another resource, the Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW), coordinated by the U.S. Department of Justice, is a cooperative effort between jurisdictions hosting public sex offender registries and the federal government.