Noxious Weed Superintendent

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Noxious Weed Office?
The office is located at 722 E. 25th Street, York, NE 68467.

What is a noxious weed?
Noxious weed is a legal term used to denote a destructive or harmful weed for the purpose of regulation. The Director of Agriculture establishes which plants are noxious. These non-native plants compete aggressively with desirable plants and vegetation. Failure to control noxious in this state is a serious problem which is detrimental to the production of crops and livestock and to the welfare of residents of this state. Noxious weeds may also devalue land and reduce tax revenue.

Are there noxious weeds in Nebraska?
Yes. The following weeds have been officially designated as noxious in Nebraska: Musk Thistle, Canada Thistle, Leafy Spurge, Plumeless Thistle, Spotted & Diffuse Knapweeds, Purple Loosestrife, and Saltcedar.

Who is responsible for controlling noxious weeds?
The Nebraska Noxious Weed Control Act states that it is the duty of each person who owns or controls land to effectively control noxious weeds on such land.

Why do we need a noxious weed law?
By declaring a weed noxious, various regulatory procedures may be implemented to control the weed and its spread. This is done when it is determined that a particular weed so seriously threatens the welfare of the residents of the state that a concentrated and sustained effort is needed to prevent serious economic loss.

Who can I call about noxious weeds?
Calls about noxious weeds can be made to the office of the Noxious Weed Superintendent at (402) 362-0506 or you can stop by the office and fill out a complaint form.

Who pays for noxious weed control?
The person owning or controlling the land is responsible for funding weed control work of such land.

Can someone be forced to control noxious weeds?
Yes. Failure to comply with the Nebraska Weed Control Act can result in up to a $1,500 fine plus the cost of the control.

How can I tell if I have noxious weeds on my property?
Check for information on the internet. Or you can pick up information at the county extension office. Your county Weed Superintendent can identify each noxious weed and will assist you in the proper control measures. :

Noxious Weed Superintendent
Doug Deprez
722 E. 25th Street
York, NE 68467
(402) 362-0506